LOVED this recipe! I found this recipe on allrecipes.com a few weeks ago and finally decided to use up the rest of my lentils and make it. It is so quick, easy, flexible and cheap to make.
Gluten Free and vegetarian! High in Protein (9.7g per serving) and Fiber (8.1 grams).
I was so tempted to add cheese to the top of this, but resisted that urge to keep it healthier…well I did add a little cheese to the first few bites and it was delicious! I kept the rest cheese-less as I do not tolerate cheese very well (anyone else with a gluten issue have this problem? Give us a break!!)
I doubled the amount of oregano and cumin. I did not have basil in the house so I used parsley. I also did not have fresh garlic so I used garlic powder. And I added mushrooms! Next time I am adding even more vegetables!!
I would also suggest cooking the rice in vegetable broth to add even more flavor.
I’m sure you can mix and use whichever vegetables you have handy!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the rice and 1 cup water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place lentils in a pot with the remaining 1 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in the onion and garlic. Mix in tomato, celery, carrots, zucchini, and 1/2 the tomato sauce. Season with 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the oregano, 1/2 the cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a casserole dish, mix the rice, lentils, and vegetables. Top with remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle with remaining basil, oregano, and cumin.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly.